Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chunky Guacamole on Blue Corn Tortillas

My husband is the owner of a successful bar in our area and he works a lot of late nights. This suits me fine when it comes to cooking because he and I have some different tastes, and on nights like these when he's not going to be home for dinner, I can cook whatever my little heart desires without regard for whether he'd like it, or whether he'd think it was substantial enough to be a meal. On the agenda tonight is homemade guacamole with some blue corn tortillas. I prefer blue corn tortillas to plain ones because I think they have a richer flavor, but yellow tortillas would be just fine here as well.

To make the guacamole:

Peel two avocados and put the meat into a bowl. Add about a quarter of a cup of chopped cilantro, a quarter of a cup of finely chopped onion, 2 tbsp of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. I like my guac spicy, so I also added a liberal dash of tabasco and about half a tsp of cayenne. Of course, my sister (who REALLY likes spicy food) would tell me that half a tsp of cayenne is nothing, so when it comes to the spicy ingredients, do whatever feels right and TASTE as you go. Depending on what you like, you can add more or less of any of these ingredients.

Mix everything together with a fork, mushing the avocado however much you want. I like mine to be a little chunky so I err on the side of mixing less.

My guacamole is chilling in the fridge as we speak. In about two hours, I'm going to grill up a couple of red peppers I have here and probably build some quesadillas using the guac, the blue corn tortillas, the grilled peppers and some pepper jack cheese. I'll keep you posted ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment